An Introduction to Dashboards
Checking the pulse of your business is something that needs to be done regularly. As the old saying goes, What gets measured, gets managed.
It’s an important activity that I don’t always remember to check so it’s on my daily routine list to make sure that I remember to check the pulse for my different businesses.
Before just starting to just use dashboard software, it’s important to figure out what needs to be tracked first and your KPIs generally. That way, you can make sure that the software is working for you and you’re not just using the default that’s been recommended and leave out important metrics for your business (or your clients’ if you’re running a digital marketing agency).
Once you figure out the metrics that are important for you, it could be just a matter of customizing the dashboard of an existing SEO reporting tool. Or it may be a case of pulling in data from Google Analytics, Google Data Studio and doing some Spreadsheet manipulation.
Google Data Studio
Google Data Studio is a dashboard reporting tool that you can customize and you can pull data from a lot of sources including Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Google Ads, SEMrush, Salesforce, and Segmetrics.
Segmetrics is an all-in-one reporting tool best known for its ability to create customizable dashboards and it can pull from Google Data Studio as well as advertising channels like Facebook and Google Ads so that you can pull paid as well as organic data. This versatility makes it a popular digital marketing software for agencies.
If you’re looking for a more SEO focused tool, especially for a detailed competitor analysis, then SEMRush fits the bill.
- Traffic Volume — Check the traffic of your competitors
- Traffic Sources — See what mix of traffic they have including direct, search, referral, social, and paid traffic.
- Desktop vs Mobile Traffic Split
- Geo Distribution — See what countries your competitors get their traffic from
- Subdomains — Find their best performing subdomains
- Top Landing Pages — See which pages perform the best
For a more backlinks focused tool, Ahrefs is one of the best ones on the market. It’s also a great all in one SEO reporting tool for agencies. The biggest downfall is that you can’t build your own dashboard like Google Data Studio or Segmetrics.
Databox is another company that provides your data in a custom dashboard like Segmetrics. You can pull from various data sources including Analytics, Ahrefs, SEMRush, Shopify and custom API connections.
In addition to these, there are also the following:
- Supermetrics — this is more of an add on for Google Sheets, Data Studio, etc. rather than a standalone dashboard reporting tool
- Agency Analytics — a overall SEO reporting tool that can be used to create custom dashboards
- DashThis – a general marketing reporting dashboard for analytics